Song of Myself

CELEBRATE myself, and sing myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
- Walt Whitman

I keep a running list called "starts," where I write down the things that pass through my mind.  I have always done this but the times have changed, I used to keep a notebook but now I use my phone.  I have dozens of notebooks scattered through boxes and stored in weird places, sometimes they are only used a page or two and sometimes they are dog-eared and dirty with words.  

From "starts"
Who are my people here in this new place?
I am starting to bump my dot
against so many circles
Looking for a home

I love to read my old words, to see a snapshot of who I have been and what I once was thinking.  I impress myself with my past self, which makes me feel relieved when I think about who I am becoming.  Because in those moments, the past ones, I was the person that spooled those words from my brain and from my heart, from my gut.  That was me.  I could have been feeling anything - inadequate, unsatisfied, lazy, tired, sick, sad, joyful, confident, angry, relieved, peaceful, free.  But I was not those feelings.  I moved on from them and into others.  I uprooted myself and replanted in better sunlight.

I have been alone
For a million years
But I’m just learning
To be by myself.

Comments

Popular Posts