Why I'm starting to love America

My relationship to America has long been disdainful and even, at times, moderately hostile. But recently, I've started to love America.

Please, let me qualify. I'm not talking about contemporary America, that of gas guzzling SUVs, unchecked participation in global warming, vapid reality TV shows, the Moral Majority and embrace of vice over virtue.

It may seem trite to talk about history, but what I'm talking about it is the America that grew out of a rebellion against tyranny and was unafraid to evaluate itself. In contrast to other governmental overthrows (Russia and France come to mind), when the "united states" governed by the Articles of Confederation realized their government was not working, they figured it out. Buoyed by a form of statesmanship not often seen in today's politicians, the citizens of the new nation saw the flaws they had created, and fixed them. Since then, it has continued to do so, although the progress is not often plain or immediate.

In response to the post updating my readership on what's been going on in my head and life lately, I received this comment:

Anonymous said...

Law school is soul crushing and law students are horrible people. Just thought I should let you know.

10:57 PM



Now, Anonymous points out what I think has gone wrong in American politics in the past thirty years (maybe more). Around the time of the writing of the Constitution, many of the people we remember most fondly (despite their flaws) were lawyers: Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, James Madison, and many more. But that buoying statemanship, for which these people were respected, has seemingly been thrown by the wayside. Today, politicians and lawyers are popularly conceived to be horrible people with no souls. That is a problem.

My basic philosophy is that law students are horrible people only because good people don't become law students as often as they used to. Plus, students are less prepared for the rigors of law school then they used to be. So, statistically, these factors result in less good people making it through law school.

I am not married to the idea of a dim, soul-crushed future as a horrible person and law school graduate. There does, however, seem to be an unfilled niche in the governmental ecosystem, at least according to Anonymous, that I am well-qualified to fill: the pleasant law student who comes out intact.

My law school decision (assuming it holds--I once wanted to be a Power Ranger) is prompted not by a desire for money or property, but a desire to participate in a system that I fundamentally believe in. Maybe Anonymous is a horrible, soul-crushed law school graduate (or non-graduate), and Anonymous, I am sorry for your loss. Thank you for letting me know, I appreciate your concern and hope you keep reading my blog. Really, my response is less directed at you than your sentiment. Please allow me to retain my tempered idealism. I know some wonderful law grads and law students, and I hope to be like them.

Comments

chris said…
(some) "lawyers might be corrupt but that doesn't mean the law is." Didn't there used to be a sign like that in the sociology building?
Anonymous said…
Same anonymous...

The comment was a warning to keep you from going in with glasses that may be too rose colored. I'm a law student, and will hopefully emerge with soul slightly dented, but not crushed. But I wanted to warn you that it requires an extraordinary amount of belief in one's goals and oneself (plus a healthy ability to tell the horrid law students to go screw themselves - more difficult as you find yourself surrounded by them at all times) to come out of law school as a)not a corporate drone; b) not an apathetic douchebag. I have no reason to doubt your sincerity or strength or anything else that may help you from turning down the path to the darkside, but I'm seen too many initially good people turn ugly, or hopeful people turn bitter and depressed.

Finally, if I have any other advice to avoid the soul crushing, it's this:

Continue your life as you live it and you'll be happy. Too many people believe the hype of law school (that it should become your life in order to do well) and don't get out enough, don't so the things they enjoy, don't associate with different perspectives, etc. Hang out with artists or economists, poets or engineers or all of the above and keep the law school contacts to a reasonable amount.

Good luck.
Anonymous said…
jess, its jon, i try and read as often as i remember, and i am going to play a little devils advocate. i think you look at today with an undeserved amount of disdain, and perhaps on the founding and framing with too much glory, dont get me wrong, if i had any political intentions, id run under freak power, or start a new party, the founders party.

i have always had faith in the american political system, and from my time in europe have grown to properly love america. to get to the matter at hand, these men you spoke of, madison, jefferson (my two heroes) hamilton, franklin, etc, were not lawyers, but rather, were statesmen, scientists, reading political theory and examining what did and did not work with respect to governing, questioning even their own actions. their beliefs were from a different era though, one of revolution, one that modern day america has moved away from, the soul of revolution has been lost in the generations. why politics is different today...is freedom, i firmly believe that americans are more free today than they were at the founding. these men did not believe in true democracy, which americans have been harping for for generations. i think it was jefferson who said that (im paraphrasing) not every biped of the forest should vote. those who had a vested interest in the government took part, you wouldnt ask a mechanic to operate on a human? they know about cars. in the time of the framing, statesmen ran the government, and it wasnt fair then either, but the statesmen were given perhaps more opportunity to question what was right and what was wrong, with a lesser fear of loss of career than is perhaps present today, but that is because more people are active in politics today, with voting, etc. and many people dont know what they want, and even if they did, they probably wouldnt have all of the facts necessary to make a properly informed decision. we trust our scientists to give us proper results and conclusions, but as with all things (and the framers knew this) the results must be questioned. so before you throw all of you backing behind these ancient (ancient is not the right word, but...yesteryear doesnt fit either) leaders, make sure you know what they really stood for; thomas jefferson, perhaps one of the most brilliant statesmen in history, was a slave owner.

forgive my somewhat haphazard writing, i hope it at least understandable, although i wont hope to give it much more than that, im writing inbetween experiment runs (there is usually about 10 minutes between runs)

on the topic of law students becoming bitter, perhaps disillusioned? jaded? the law is a slow beast, but it was designed as such, any government that can quickly do good can also quickly do bad. the law is designed to be methodical and cold so that hopefully as a group, we can make better decisions. things that have been done in haste, bills shoved through congress, ill pick one almost at random....the usa patriot act....show that law needs to be slow, and i think this is what turns starry-eyed hopefuls sour. i know that all men are not angels, not even the ones in power in government, and im not very politically active, but i try to have faith in people enough to hope (yes, i somtimes feel i am one of those starry-eyed hopefuls) that those in power will work to promote the common good, but perhaps i am stuck in de tocquevilles (spelling?) time. im not sure how to close this, its been some time, too much in my opinion, i will give you a ring when i return to cleveland. i wasnt trying to make a point, just.....writing.

this has turned into enough of a letter that i will close it as such.

yours,
j
Jess said…
I'm glad this post has sparked so much response...makes me feel good about my readership.

My love of the framers is definitely not an absolute love. Mostly, and I tried to note this, I think knowledge is paramount to politics. This is what I respect the framers for. Madison for consulting other governments in his attempt to create this one, stuff like that.

I am faaaaaar less disdainful of this country than I was, say, freshman year of college when I wanted to grow dreadlocks and just smoked too much and did a lot of vague moralizing on what what's wrong with the US today.

The amount of freedom in this republic has increased exponentially in the past two hundred years, partially from the governments ability (however slowly) to adapt to a developing public.

This post was mostly prompted by anonymous's comment, which made me think a great deal about my idealism (always my loudest forte).

Any don't worry, everyone should be in de Tocqueville's time, at least a little bit. I definitely feel that a wide and deep reading of history is essential to understanding today's politics and government, to watch its trends and to view its participants in their context.

Same Anonymous, I am glad you clarified your point, I agree!

My heart is way warmer than when I sat down at my computer in the first place. thanks guys.
Anonymous said…
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-602659686663399701&q=penn+teller+bullshit&total=201&start=30&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=6

this is something i find terribly cool, i dont know if youve seen it yet, but you should definitely check it out, its funny, but at the same time....really real.

oh, its jon again.
Anonymous said…
oh, balls, was too long of a website...hmm...well....i keep that shit posted on facebook...or...check out "penn teller flag burning" at video.google.com

Popular Posts