childhood games in a modern world

I was tagged by someone I respect to name my top seven songs right now, and so I guess I will, as long as I don't have to do things like this too often.

It seems that most of my favorite songs are those that prove there are eloquent people out there who feel the same way I do about this spaceship we all live on.

7. Into the Mystic - Van Morrison
Van speaks to me, I was born before the wind. This song reminds me of what different kinds of love feel like.

6. Back to Gray- The Thermals
This song makes me want to shed all the insecurities I've constructed for myself, and dance naked to the truth of it. "I don't need any love, because I've got the elements."

5. My Back Pages- Bob Dylan
Lamentations I agree with interspersed with "Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now." Makes me wonder what that means about my life.

4. Bulletproof- Rilo Kiley
Please, be kind. Don't drop the rock on me.

3. White Daisy Passing - Rocky Votolato
Similar to what I love about song #2, this is about passing moments, how we love them as they occur, how "they meant everything, but the wind just carried them off." This is last summer, this is how I want them all to be. It has a rad acoustic beat that makes me smile and try to harmonize right along.

2. The Heart of Saturday Night - Tom Waits
The title track off the album that sparked my burning passion for Tom Waits.... a Beat musician, Kerouac meets Springsteen, and this song grabs onto the sentiment I am most in love with, that there is a "common loneliness that just sprawls from coast to coast...like a common disjointed identity crisis. It's the dark, warm, narcotic American night" (not a song lyric, but a description by Waits of what he tries to capture, especially in the beginning). The man is a genius.

1. Red Right Ankle - The Decemberists
This is one of those songs that I could (and do) listen to it over and over, feeling like these words understand me better than I do. It captures my heartaches with a profundity that I lack.

Comments

TJ said…
um, yea. definitely
Leigh said…
it's interesting to me how most of us hoard our taste in music, so fearful that someone will judge us. why music? I have never hesitated to share my favorite books but my favorite songs always evoke a blush or a twisting foot. makes no sense to me.
Deborah said…
what? no classic rock? and gee, you're so deep never mentioning anything about how you simply like to grind to a good beat...i know you do and now your secret is out. hah! i love you.

Popular Posts