Good Deeds

I was at Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Cleveland today, filming a video spot for an awards dinner (awkwardddddd). I finished a little early, so I went to a coffeeshop to wait for Justin.

After he called to say he was downtown, I went outside to wait. A few minutes later, a homeless man approached me. This is how it went down:

"Ma'am, can you spare some money so I can get some food?"

"I'm sorry, I don't have any cash. I have some walnuts in my purse if you want them."

He laughed and said something I couldn't understand. Then he asked me for a cigarette, and I gave him one.

I dug around in my purse for the lighter. "I can never find anything in this bag. Are you sure you don't want the walnuts?"

He laughed again, "I don't have any teeth!"

"You could crush them up!"

"Well, sure, I'll take 'em!"

So I gave a sandwich bag half-full of shelled walnuts to a man with no teeth today. Driving home, I couldn't decided whether it was a nice thing to do or not. I mean, he probably hasn't had walnuts in a REALLY long time, but he is also toothless so they will be very uncomfortable to eat. But if he figures out how to eat them (crush them, mix them with water, I don't know), it'd be excellent nutrition.

I don't know. I felt good about it, even if he thought I was a little bit crazy.

Comments

Popular Posts