Secret Deodorant

Or, The Downfall of Civilization

Secret Deodorant. Seems harmless enough, right?

WRONG!

Over the course of my lifetime I have noticed an alarming trend in the commercials of this sneaky antiperspirant that, I believe, is a symptom of civilizational collapse.

1980s: Strong enough for a man, but made for a woman.

Early 2000s: Strong enough for a woman!

This PC shift is accompanied with a commercial that shows a bunch of women afraid to lift their arms while dancing, because they are wearing that "other" brand stuff and, well, smell bad. Cut to our Secret heroine, arms raised, cabbage patch, booty call gunslinger, arms raised with no fear because she's using a deodorant strong enought for a woman. Acceptable. But then we get to...

2007: Still strong enough for a woman, but now its even stronger. These commercials show the same cowering women (bridesmaids) afraid to lift their arms, but this time they are the Secret wearers. The raised-arm bride with the gorgeous husband and bright future is not just wearing Secret, oh no, she's wearing Secret CLINICAL STRENGTH.

Does nobody but me notice they are using the same gimmick to sell their new product, this one perscription strength? Who needs perscription strength anyway?

If we keep going down this path, ad companies using the same ads to sell stronger products nobody really needs, we're going to end up with a generation of mutants with no superpowers. Call me a hippie, but its really starting to freak me out. What's next, perscription strength energy drinks?

Comments

Gina Ventre said…
Must. Not. Sweat.

Must. Not. Smell. Natural.

Must. Smell. Like. Flowery shit.


I use Dove because the others cause underarm dessication.
Sean Santa said…
armpits have gotten so complicated in the 21st century that i dont even use the shit anymore
Anonymous said…
Personally, I'd like to hear your comments on money.
Kathleen said…
Some women perspire so much in the armpit area that they need regular injections of Botox just to temporarily stop the problem. I'm sure they love that Secret now has precription strength.
ritte said…
Hve you seen the latest Secret commercial? A woman flags down a taxi and she says in her whinny, ratty voice "No thanks,I changed my mind"
Too bad the driver didn't do us all a favor and run her over.
ritte said…
Have you seen the Secret commercial where a girl walks through the city,flags a taxi and says in her whinny voice" No thanks, I changed my mind"
Too bad the taxi driver didn't do us all a favor and run her over
Anonymous said…
Secert Deodorant does not work, when you are in the middle of a hot flash, I had to switch to Degree for men to get some help with it. Even than I am not sure how well anything will wotk.

Pat Smith

Popular Posts