Wow, High School Was A Long Time Ago

(Or So It Seems)

I found a frame next to the dumpster a few days ago. An painted wood frame, old and a little dirty but sturdy enough. It has a very cool, colorful design on it that blends well with my living room decor.

I took it home, and measured it.

It is 16 inches wide and 30 inches long, according to my tape measure. So I wrote wrote "16x30" in green marker on the white board in the kitchen, and stared at it.

While I stared, I was thinking, "I should be able to do something with these numbers that will help me figure out what size poster to get. I went through AP Calculus, I did alright, I should be able to figure out what this means."

I wrote "16/30," a fraction. I wrote "8/15" next to that.

Then I wrote "1 ft 4 in" and "2 ft 6 in" underneath. And I kept staring at these numbers, waiting for a file drawer to burst open in some dusty-but-functioning part of my brain, containing a file with the answer written on the inside flap. But, sadly, there was no manila.

I went through AP Calculus! I took intensive math courses for six years!! And now I can't even apply basic algebra to my daily life?

Talk about moments that cause premature aging! I feel like my father! I never used to understand how he had forgotten the name of his eighth grade gym teacher. It was unimaginable to me, and all of my 15 years, that he did not have the blazing, crystal recall I possessed in comparison.

Well, Universe, I get it. That (not becoming engaged, working full-time or experiencing unemployment) is what finally pushed me over the edge in adulthood. Apparently, I've grown up. And forgotten my math, against all good advice.

Comments

Popular Posts