Sisterhood of the Traveling Pantsuits

Justin and I have been watching the DNC on cnn.com/live this week. Thank god I didn't watch the Olympics like the rest of America, or I would be exhausted!

I was glad to see HilClint in her orange suit. I've always felt strangely supportive of her, although I voted for Obama. Maybe I'm just attracted to what she represents...she said it herself last night. Her mother was born before women had the right to vote; my own grandmother was born only three years later. And Chelsea Clinton was able to vote for her mother for president!

It is amazing how quickly things can change, although while you're living your daily life things can seem so stagnant.

I know a lot of the DNC speeches are bullshit, total politics (25% law + 75% theater), but a lot of the Obama rhetoric really reasonates with me. Anyone that knows me can tell you that I'm in love with the 1960s, and this 2008 election and all that comes with it has made me feel like I understand those times at least a little better. I'll be the first to admit that it's probably all the Kennedy comparisons, strategically separating the Democratic party from the Clinton dynasty.

But I still think there is a lot of truth to those strategic comparisons. Kennedy and Obama both represent a fundamental change in American attitude, coming at a time when such a change is necessary to keep America going.

Sometimes we're so confident in our national identity, our lives as Americans, that we forget that countries can, and do, fail. Our Founding Fathers knew this all too well and did their darndest to prevent it from happening, but without the Kennedys and the Obamas of the world, who knows? Maybe we wouldn't have made it this far.

I'm pumped to watch tonight, with BillClint taking the stage. Although Bill Clinton does baffle me. He is definitely a man of mystery, although I highly recommend Primary Colors.

Comments

Popular Posts