Sights and Sounds

As you may know, I am a resident of Lakewood, OH, the ever interesting inner-ring suburb on the west side of Cleveland. It's like Euclid's cooler, more attractive, smarter cousin from out west.

One of the things I love the most about living here is the people. First of all, they're everywhere. Sure, sometimes they're crazy, but they're always walking around, puttering in their yards, strolling through downtown, shopping and supporting the vibrant local economy. Second, they are friendly. If I don't get a "Hello!" it's at least a smile or a "Happy Easter!" Well, at Easter.

As you may remember from a previous post, the Lakewood Public Library has recently been renovated and is now one of the most beautiful libraries I've ever seen. It's awesome. It's airy and spacious, with bold colors and photographs by local artists on the wall. And they've unpacked their sci-fi section!

Anyway, I was driving to the library yesterday to pick up some books to read since I don't have a job, and I witnessed a typical Lakewood moment. Two high schoolers, a boy and a girl, were walking their bikes down the street. But they were dressed in formal wear, as if for prom. The girl wore a bright pink dress, typically promy, and the boy a black tux with a tie as pink as the dress. And they were pushing not just bicycles, but matching yellow bicycles.

Oh, Lakewood, I love you.

Comments

Popular Posts