Being OK With Being Poor

Whenever I get caught-up in something bad about myself, or my life, the universe loves to point out to me why I'm wrong.

Most recently, I've been really worried about being poor, and what that means about my future. Some of this comes second-hand from my boyfriend, but I've also taken up the cause. Not having any money will do that to a struggling and hardworking college student who works three jobs.

But in the past few days, after I decided to face this final semester with one job and more time to mull over my future, the universe has been screaming "Don't worry!"

First, I had a conversation with a professor I would love to be friends about how poor she was while going through grad school, also working three jobs, and eating squash and peppers to stay alive. We wondered who those people are that have the money to buy new clothes all the time, the ones with the extra money, because it always feels like no matter how much we have, it isn't extra for very long.

Second, I brought up the impending death of the 1994 Honda that gets us around to my boss, who reacted with complete sympathy. Apparently, they were once really poor and drove junkers that broke down all the time and had to be fixed in the rain or on the street where they stopped working.

So, I have interpreted this "coincidence" as the universe telling me to chill out, that this happens to many many people, and that ultimately I'll be ok.

So, that's what I plan to be.

Comments

Popular Posts