politics and memories

well friends, its that time again, when everyone is crazy about politics. Even me, although we cancelled cable yesterday to save our pocketbooks. But cnn.com/live is just as good, if not better.

Anyway, I was googlechatting with my favorite googlechat companion about a minute ago, and I said something about politics that prompted an ancient memory.

I mentioned that I haven't decided between Clinton and Obama, I like them both, but I might vote for Edwards if he can stick it out until March 4, because I think he's a good guy. Which reminded me:

I went to Upson Elementary School in Euclid, Ohio from kindy-garden until second grade. I can only remember a few things about that school. I helped paint a mural of rainforest animals on the wall by the principals office. One time a kid named Dino hit me in the cafeteria and I said "ow" and I got in trouble and had to stand against the wall. I made my mom write a letter to my teacher saying I didn't want "birthday spanks," because I thought it was humiliating, so she embarassingly gave me kisses instead.

Ok, maybe I remember a lot when I get to thinking about it. But I also remember this:

Elementary schools in 1992 had Presidental election fever. The "Scholastic Magazine" that everyone everywhere got (It had little articles about nature and helicopters, plus crafts you could do at home. It was printed on newsprint paper and was only about four pages long. Remember?) even had a "draw your own ears on Ross Perot" activity.

Upson was totally and fully on the bandwagon...we held our own, completely off the grid, non-meaningful election. Everyone in the school (which housed kindergarden through fourth grade) got to vote for a candidate, George, Bill, or Ross. Interestingly enough, Bill won. Maybe little kids are a yet-untapped way to test candidate's likability, and we should poll children to mine more information. Or maybe most of us were just mimicing our parents. Anyway.

I voted for Ross Perot. Not because I was a registered Independent, or even understood anything about America. It wasn't until years later that I found out the Mayor of Euclid wasn't as important as the President. But I certainly didn't like the idea that Ross Perot was getting ridiculed in children's magazines, or that he was losing.

Maybe I love underdogs, maybe I can't stand to see a man kicked when he's down. All I know is that if Edwards can't possibly win, I'll probably vote for him too, because again my vote won't really matter but at least I can help a guy out.

Comments

Popular Posts