Happy Birthday Roald Dahl!

One thing I love about google is that on days they deem important, they alter the logo on their main page. It's an interesting study into the events respected by google staffers. And it presents a learning opportunity for someone who happens to be googling, for example, "what is a brown bag event" on that particular day.

While I was trying to find out whether or not "brown bag lunch" meant you bring a lunch or they provide one, I discovered that today is Roald Dahls birthday!

I've read a bunch of his classics: Charlie and the Chococlate Factory, The Great Glass Elevator, The Twits, and I've seen the movies of Matilda and James and the Giant Peach many many times.

Until I read Mountains Beyond Mountains, which features Dahl's daughter as a character, I thought his name was Roland Dahl. Maybe its a common mistake, or a side-effect of my penchant for speed reading. Sometimes I thought it was Ronald Dahl.

Anyone who has ever watched a movie with me knows I have a hard time remembering characters names, but this is different. It's like when Matilda gets nervous when talking to Miss Honey and calls Charles Dickens "Darles Chickens." Except I'm not nervous, the names just never make it into my memory. Regardless, seeing and saying "Roald Dahl" may forever seem unnatural to me.

Side note: on the wikipedia link I clicked after being directed to the google search, I found this:

On the 13th of September 2007, Google honoured his birthday by a reworking of their famous logo on their main search page, replacing some of the letters with items and characters from books. Avid reader Matilda (from the novel Matilda) could be seen sitting on the "G" surrounded by a pile of books. The second "o" was replaced by a peach floating on water with a tiny figure aboard it, from James and the Giant Peach. Finally, the "l" was replaced with a partially-unwraped chocolate bar with a Golden Ticket inside (from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)

It was probably second on the "to-do" list for the google staffers that created the honorific logo.

Comments

Popular Posts