90s fashion: the 80s, in earthtones

I went out with some friends the other night to Little Bar in the warehouse district. It's right around the corner from where they all work (and I used to), so I met them downtown for a night out. During the night, I came to a realization about fashion trends. Don't ask me the context, I just remember this conversation snippet. And that is this: fashion in the 1990s in America was very similar to fashion in the 1980s, except that it was all earth tones.


1980s: big sweaters, flashy colors, outrageous fashion decisions. Mostly loose-fitting preppy stuff, plus a bunch of weird accessories. Keds, hyper color, huge shoulder pads, mind-boggling patterns, you know what I'm talking about. As Nancy Reagan and Mr. T will demonstrate:

1990s: Once they really got rolling, the 1990s toned down the fashion extremism of the 1980s. My recent research (watching episodes of Are You Afraid of the Dark) has revealed fashion that is in no way flattering, and is without the redeeming quirkiness of the previous decade. It's the same bad fashion, just less daring and unique. Things weren't as big, but they were as unattractive.
I think this is appropriate topical discourse, considering 80s fashion has come back, in its most glamorous form, to haunt us. But, as a modern woman, I think we're moving up--at least fashion today is more fashionable than it used to be.

And thank goodness. But I wonder if my kids will agree.

Comments

ChocoboWorld214 said…
I just recently came to aprreciate how wonderful the 90s actually were compared to things today, but I've ALWAYS loved the 80s. I'm 18 so I barely remember the 90s anyway, and I grew up with (good) things that were before my time thanks to my mom, and I'm pretty excited that 80s fashion is making a comeback. It's kind of a modernized summary of things in the decade. There are some things that I don't really want to see come back, like shoulder pads (bleck), but I love the rocker and punk styles. I recently fell in love with The Cure and Oingo Boingo too. I want to the 80s to live forever!

Popular Posts