Trying to be nice and underthinking it

Nothing on my hands but time today, I walked to the local bakery and picked up some nice dessert for dinner for my unsuspecting and hard working boyfriend. (I also did a light work out, not a suprise though because I told him he would soon be dating a lithe and hard-bodied hottie) I walked past a wedding, lovely, entered the bakery and ordered a creme puff and a raspberry mousse (Good thing I did the work out). It'll go well with the wine I bought for no reason at the new Dave's yesterday.

I was walking back and a very pleasant Indian man asked me how to get to Overlook. I had to ask him twice because I wasn't sure what he was saying, but once I figured it out I gave him directions: Turn right, turn left at the first light, up the hill and past the townhouses. He said "Thanks!"

And then I said, "Good luck. Thanks!"

Walking away, I thought...wait a minute. I just told that man thank you for asking me for directions. Proper response: not thank you. How about "You're welcome?"

I diagnosed it as a recurring tendency. I say "You too" when people say "Happy birthday!" I like to be polite, but apparently in my rush to do so I don't really think about it. I think it might be a former shy person reflex, trying to say the right thing but to nervy to think about it. Its probably something I should work on, or else at my wedding people will be saying "Congratulations" and I'll reply with a heartfelt "You too!!"

Comments

Popular Posts