and i say i've got my best shoes on/i'm ready to go

I love walking around this University at night in the summertime when nobody is around and even the misquitos are sleeping. It's infinitely easier to appreciate when there's nothing to distract me. Tonight, I said goodbye to a friend that's leaving probably forever, then stood five feet above an eastbound train, so close that its wind almost kept me from lighting my cigarette. I stayed all the way until the last car passed under, thinking about where it was going, and about the day when I will hop one going the other direction. Then I walked past the hospital, noticing all the people I passed and imagining what their diverse suffering must feel like. There was a young man carrying a little boy, who held on with one trusting arm while trying, like me, to see all the world around him had to offer. On the walk, I think I saw more police cars than people, not exactly a reassuring observation. All the campus buildings were dark, and the yellow lights on the deserted grounds and the midnight sprinklers made it feel more like a movie set after hours than the place where I spend most of my time. The bunny eating a midnight snack didn't even look up when I said "hello rabbit!" Without the weight of the semester on me anymore, all I could feel was the summertime, and that's a very nice feeling.

Comments

TJ said…
just a few more days and my weight will be gone too
Sean Santa said…
they say kalifornia is a recipe for a black hole

Popular Posts