I am a far better stenographer than a Shakespeare.

I have come to realize that in my own writing, I write far better about things that actually happened than anything else. This, I have long felt, has ruled out fiction writing as a possible creative outlet.

It has only been recently that I have started really thinking about the nature of fiction. If I make up a story using events from my life, does that count as fiction? If I could paste it together well enough, could my fact be someone else's fantasy? The more I have thought about it, the more I've realized that as long as an event isn't happening in my life, it may as well be fiction to me. Or anyone.

Maybe the best way to live is to act as though fiction were just another word for possibility. If you do, layers of depth and meaning instantly unfold, and you love life just a little bit more. I can live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, because I read it in Thoreau. I have no fear, because Huck lived through worse. I can be mad, because Dean was and that's why I love him. It doesn't matter whether or not it really happened, because it's just words on a page. I put the meaning into them, not the other way around.

I have also come to realize that I say a lot of words but never really say anything.

Maybe there's hope for me yet.

Comments

Deborah said…
not just hope. there's genius and it's b-eautiful. just write....and observe it as it move through you...it is the way of all the greats....i'll stick around to see if it will be your way.
Sean Santa said…
youve steered yourself in the right direction, i think...

L,
Sean
Anonymous said…
Fiction and non-fiction are antiquated divisions. Think of memory. Our memory is inadequate to remember the "whole truth" of a past experience and because of this, part of memory is fiction. But that doesn't make memories less real. Also, "truth" discovered by fictional literature is just as valuable as (or more valuable than) "truth" arrived at by science or "non-fiction." Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf is a great example of this. Certain great pieces of literature speak something about the human condition better than a piece of non-fiction ever could, and all the good works of non-fiction contain some level of fiction in them. I would go as far as to say that fiction precedes non-fiction. The inadequacies of language require fiction in everyday communications.

I hope you don't mind a blogger stranger chiming in and sparking some thought... : )

Popular Posts